Tuesday, July 2, 2013

First Day Jitters and Tears

After nodding off all day yesterday during presentations, I was SOOOOO eager to sleep last night.  I was tucked in by 9:45 and super happy to be in bed.  Then... at 2:45 I woke up.  I went to the bathroom and crawled back in bed, but I COULD NOT sleep.  I tried everything.  I counted sheep.  I stroked my own hair.   I tossed and turned.  I created a perfect cave of blankets and pillows.  I had placed my wake-up call for 6:45, and the last time I remember looking at the clock was 5:34.  So I probably got about an hour of sleep.  I was so angry with myself.  When I got to breakfast this morning most of the other teachers were already there, but there was no room at their tables so I took one in the corner.  A few minutes later, one of the John's joined me.  He innocently commented that I looked tired and I just sort of burst into tears.  Poor guy.  By now, most of you know that I am just a crier and the best thing to do is ignore it or be mean to me in hopes that I stop.  New people aren't great at being mean when I cry; I guess because it seems cruel.  Luckily, John was very kind and then cracked a few jokes that helped me semi-compose myself.  When I left breakfast, I stopped in the lobby bathroom to wash my face and blow my nose.  Then I went out to the lobby to meet Rupa who had come with the driver to pick me up for my first day.

Day One was NOT what I expected.  I thought that there would be classes to attend and lots to do, but because the students were taking unit exams, there was relatively little to do.  Everyone was so sweet, but mostly I was in the way.  They set me up in the library for awhile and told me to read whatever I wanted.  I couldn't read though because also in the library, they were sorting all of the exam books that had been turned in and there were about 6 people shouting and tripping over me at all times.  I will have to take pictures of the library some day so that you can see how narrow it is and how I was definitely in the way.  I did get to go to 2 classes (one grade 5 and the other grade 6).  The students were adorable and polite and brimming with questions about America.  The principal also introduced me to all of the students in grades 6-9 at the afternoon assembly.  They were very cute when all 1,000 of them chorused, "Good morning, Jodi ma'am."  I am apparently a big deal in India.  Once exams are over on Friday, I am sure that life at school will be a bit more normal.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no, sorry that your first day didn't go as you planned. I really hope this week will be better and that you are not sick anymore. I'm thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete